Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Life in Songs

Over the last ten years I have found that songs often speak to me during times of great emotion - both good and bad.  For a long time now I have been wanting to start an art journal that illustrates my life through the songs that speak to me, but I have had a hard time finding the right 'book' to do it in.  Then, while shopping for my daughters birthday I ran across a great little find.  It is a sketchbook that is made of heavy weight water color paper and has a sewn binding, plus it is big - and I like to work big - PERFECT!

I bought the last 2 the store had!

This weekend I was feeling a little blue, because I have gone through yet another miscarriage - though this one was unexpected (meaning I didn't even realize how far along I was because I have been so busy and slightly stressed out).  But oddly enough, this one was different in that the physical pain was much worse than the emotional pain - for the first time ever.  Perhaps it was the art journaling - it does have healing properties!

Anyway, here is the page I made, using a Ztampf image from her gift of life pack.


This song first really touched my heart about 6 years ago, just after my first miscarriage.  I was really angry for a long time, and then one day at church they sang this song and it all just melted away.  I can't explain it, but to this day this song still touches my heart and I see that I am not a victim - I still have a choice every day in how I will face the world!

And so do you.

Now for page 2!

6 comments:

  1. Erin, the art work is beautiful. You are in my prayers. God is Sovereign! May you be blessed in many other ways and someday know His purpose for this. We love you.
    Paula-Kay and Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula-Kay! I am blessed in so many ways, it has just taken me a few years to see it. Love you too!

      Delete
  2. Erin, so sorry for your loss. I am happy to know that art journaling has helped you deal with your loss. I know that with God and art your have the best possible therapy anyone can ask for.
    ((((HUGS))))
    Inger

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last morning I was to miscarry I woke up with an image literally burned on my brain, which is not the way I usually think. I think in words. Later that horrible day the Lord gave me a moment to laugh out loud as I realized for the 1st time how crazy it was that God insisted on giving me an image instead of words. I envisioned the Father & Jesus talking about it back & forth. "You want her to draw something?... you know she can't draw, you're the one who made her." "How about a stick figure?" "...Okay, maybe a stick figure, I think we can get her through a stick figure."

    Clearly the Godhead did not have this conversation in regards to you.

    Thanks for sharing Erin. I am sorry for this wretched choice for you from our ultimately good & loving Father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amy! I have found that he tends to speak to me with images. Lately I have decided to let them out, it is such a release in so many ways. I remember you posting the image you had, it really spoke to me, and I was so glad you shared. In 2006 when I had my first miscarriage I didn't want to talk to anyone about it and I pushed all my pregnant friends away. I regret that now.

    Thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete